Sunday, June 20, 2010

Early User Space - Bah!

So I'm setting up our new router/server here at home, and I've decided to finally get around to trying out a full disc encryption. The idea is that the kernel has embedded in it (or separately loaded by the boot loader) a tiny file system with the necessary decryption utilities. A script runs, does the decryption, mounts your regular file system, then turns the computer over to your regular booting up process.

This works very well, if one can get it to work.

I'm familiar enough with installing my favorite GNU/Linux flavor, Gentoo, that I'm not having any difficulty doing what I want to do with it. However my scripting skills are weak, and I don't have enough knowledge regarding the busybox environment to figure out what's going wrong.

Cryptsetup gives some warning messages or errors when creating a decrypted device mapper node of the encrypted hard drive; but it finally reports success. However I am unable to mount the result. It's very annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment